• Mother says school should have called 911 after child got sick


    CLAYTON COUNTY, Ga. - A mother said her son's middle school put him in harm's way by not calling 911 when he suffered what appeared to be a seizure.

    The school system denied it did anything wrong.

    Keisha Brown said it happened Sept. 6 at North Clayton Middle School where her son is a 7th grader.

    She said he was in class and had become ill.

    "He's unresponsive and drooling out of the side of this mouth. Why was 911 never not called?" she asked.

    That's also the question her mother, Dwayne Gill's legal guardian, wants answered.

    "You call the ambulance and then you contact me," Madilene Jordan told Channel 2's Tom Jones.

    But Brown and Jordan said 911 wasn't called when Dwayne became ill.

    Jordan said she was called and when she arrived at the school, the 7th grader was in the principal's office.

    "She was wiping drool from his mouth. He was starry eyed. He was kind of unresponsive. And she looked at me and said, 'I believe he had a petit seizure,'" she said.

    Brown said since her son improved and had no history of seizures, her mother took him home. Within an hour, he had another seizure.

    Jordan called 911 right away. Dwayne had another seizure while paramedics attended to him. Brown said he was oxygen deprived and she thinks the delay contributed to that.

    She said an assistant superintendent told her protocol was not followed.

    "She said that the principal should not have self-diagnosed. Only a physician or a doctor can diagnose," Brown stated.

    The school system denied that and said protocol was followed.

    Schools spokesman Charles White sent a statement saying, "Administrative personnel at North Clayton Middle School followed protocol in this matter. School officials determined that the student's condition was not life-threatening. The student appeared to be somewhat disoriented, yet was still responsive.

    "The student appeared to become more responsive shortly thereafter. School officials contacted the student's legal guardian, a grandparent. The legal guardian came immediately to the school, at which time school officials offered to contact Emergency Medical Services.

    "The legal guardian declined the offer stating that the student had experienced this condition before. The legal guardian stated that she would take the student directly to the doctor.

    "It should be noted that the decision not to immediately contact Emergency Medical Services in this instance was not the decision of a single staff member and was based on sound observation of the student."

    Brown denied her son has exhibited this condition before.

    "Because he has no prior history or diagnosis of any seizures," she said.

    But her mother said Dwayne did have an episode of a blank stare a couple of years ago.

    Both still think paramedics should have been called.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Mother says school should have called 911 after child got sick

  • Headline Goes Here

    Damaging wind, small hail possible as potential severe storms head our way

  • Headline Goes Here

    GBI responding to officer-involved shooting in Villa Rica

  • Headline Goes Here

    2 killed in head-on collision in Carroll County

  • Headline Goes Here

    AT 5: Is legal pot a good thing? We travel to Colorado to get the real story