• Contractor in jail amid allegations of taking money, abandoning jobs


    GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. - Gwinnett County Sheriff's investigators say a contractor is now in custody following allegations that he took off with a homeowner's money before finishing the job.

    Investigators said Gene Gore, 57, turned himself in on Wednesday morning after Channel 2's Kerry Kavanaugh's report that aired on Tuesday afternoon.

    Investigators said three other victims came forward the morning after Kavanaugh's story aired on Channel 2 Action News at 5.

    Prior to the report, Snellville police had been looking for Gore, who homeowner Susan Barbee said left her home in shambles.

    Gore, a Grayson resident, told Channel 2 Action News it's all a big misunderstanding. But Barbee said she wants to get the word out before another person falls victim.

    "I just want to stop him from taking anybody else," said Barbee.

    She said her home on Ramblewood Way in Snellville has been an unfinished mess since May, when Gore left her high and dry.

    "I did give him $3,300 up front. He did go immediately and cash it at the bank, which was my first red flag," Barbee said.

    Barbee said she ultimately paid more than $4,000. But, she said Gore sent a crew to tear off her siding and her deck, and never came back.

    Barbee said she started doing some research online and found lawsuits against Gore filed by other homeowners and business owners , including supplier Bill Humphries.

    "We're out about $6,500," he said.

    Humphries claims Gore purchased equipment on his business account that he never paid for.

    Humphries showed us the civil judgement which he was awarded.

    "It's been over a year now and I doubt if we'll ever see anything out of that," he said.

    Barbee also brought her story to Snellville police.

    "He would keep in touch with her always face to face and after transaction was made, he pretty much disappeared," said Detective Orlando Concepcion.

    On Thursday, police issued an arrest warrant for Gore on theft by conversion charges.

    Kavanaugh contacted Gore over the phone, who said he has offered to refund Barbee all her money "but she wouldn't accept it," Gore said,

    Police believe that offer only came about after Barbee pressed charges.

    Gore said he wasn't admitting he was wrong, but wanted to make this go away.

    He said he couldn't speak to Kavanaugh in person because he planned on turning himself in to Snellville police Tuesday.

    At the time this story was published, he had not.


    Next Up: