• Football team forced to forfeit homecoming after brawl


    ATLANTA, Ga. - A high school football team was forced to forfeit its Friday night homecoming game because its players were at a police station.

    Booker T. Washington High School did not host Carver High School as scheduled because of a fight on Washington's campus.

    Atlanta police said Thursday at about 7:30 p.m., several members of the football team walked onto a campus field and fought with a group of four players and one coach from the Legacy Baseball League, an instructional baseball league for inner-city teens.

    A witness who did not want to be identified said the football players accused members of the baseball team of stealing something from the locker room.

    But the Washington football players accused of fighting aren't the only ones who are suffering from this punishment, according to students like Christopher Bryant.

    "It's our homecoming, so when that type of thing takes place so you have to cancel the game because of something they did. We don't have anything to do with that. So that's not fair," Bryant told Channel 2's Carl Willis.

    Bryant called the whole situation a travesty.

    "I think this is a travesty. Us as high school students, we should be focused on our academics and trying to prepare to go to college," Bryant said.

    Atlanta Public Schools sent Willis a statement to confirm the incident and said that disciplinary action would be taken.

    "I wasn't there at the fight, but I know this is the type of thing that shouldn't happen. (It) shouldn't take place," Bryant said.

    It's not clear if any further action will be taken beyond canceling Friday night's game.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Football team forced to forfeit homecoming after brawl

  • Headline Goes Here

    Bus drivers plan 'sick out' for next 3 days

  • Headline Goes Here

    Police working to ID woman who collapsed, died in road

  • Headline Goes Here

    5 things to know about Diane McIver

  • Headline Goes Here

    Man beaten to death at DeKalb County motel, police say