HALL COUNTY, Ga. - A woman says she is a walking miracle after she was hit by lightning while cooking in her kitchen.
Tesia Swearingen said she was cooking as a thunderstorm rolled through Monday.
She said she made the mistake of opening the door to hear the storm.
“We always have the doors open. We love listening to the thunderstorms,” Swearingen said.
The woman said suddenly everything turned white.
- There are 32 active hate groups in Georgia, report says
- Here’s the exact timing of when you’ll see the eclipse in your city
- Man livestreamed during SWAT standoff, police say
“I felt this jolt of electricity come out the tips of my fingers and there was a loud pop and spark,” she said. “I was very dizzy and lightheaded and, yeah, I was electrocuted.”
Swearingen drove herself to North Georgia Medical Center, where she went through a series of tests, X-rays and blood work.
“I don’t have any burns or anything like that from where the lightning came out. I’m fine,” she said.
The woman said she’s learned her lesson.
“There’s not a lot of people who can make it out completely unharmed and be able to tell their story because that was a lot of electricity,” Swearingen said.
She said from now on when Severe Weather Team 2 meteorologist Glenn Burns says to be weather aware, she will listen.
© 2018 Cox Media Group.