GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. - Channel 2 Action News has obtained video of the moment a science experiment went wrong in a classroom Wednesday at Duluth High School.
Students said it was just a routine fun experiment for Halloween, until everything blew up.
The experiment -- involving fire, a ramp and a pumpkin -- erupted, sending a fireball around the teacher identified as Ms. Cook.
"We were just like confused we didn't know what to do," student Condaleeza Waters said.
Students watched as the fire surrounded their teachers face, burning her hair and skin.
"When she lit it on fire, what happened is the whole entire ramp lit on fire and the ramp just exploded," student Eddie Kim said.
Channel 2's Tony Thomas has confirmed that Cook is going to be OK.
"In this case, she suffered minor, superficial injuries and she's going to be OK," Gwinnett County Schools police information officer, Bernard Watson, said.
The school's principal sent a letter out to parents Thursday saying in part:
"This is a rare situation, and we are committed to determining exactly how this occurred so it does not happen again."
The video quickly made the rounds on social media. Thomas met students as they left school Thursday, and some said they are still trying to sort out what they saw.
"I guess it's just kind of scary, knowing that happened at our school," student Mia Vantassell said.
Others wanted to help.
"I would love to know where she is because I'd love to go visit her and make sure she is OK," student Quinton French said.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.