GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. — A local YMCA shut down its pool after visitors reported being infected with a bacteria that leads to Legionnaires' disease, a rare type of pneumonia.
Officials told Channel 2's Matt Johnson they've taken voluntary precautions.
People can get the disease by breathing in small drops of water that contain the bacteria legionella.
In a statement, the YMCA said.
Micah Mixie told Johnson he's encouraged by how the YMCA hired an outside company to purify the water Thursday.
"I'm glad they're just trying to fix it because I don't want anyone having any sickness or any problems from it so it's good they're handling it the right way," he said.
© 2021 Cox Media Group