Gwinnett County

GBI investigating allegations that someone hacked judge's computer

GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. — This story has just about everything: A superior court judge who thinks her computer might have been hacked, a district attorney accused in a court filing of potentially being the hacker, a state investigation -- and that's just the beginning.

Sources confirm Gwinnett County Superior Court Judge Kathryn Schrader hired a private investigator last February to see if someone was hacking into her computer.

Noted private eye TJ Ward told Channel 2's Gwinnett County Bureau Chief Tony Thomas he brought in Ed Kramer to remotely monitor the judge's system for irregularities. Kramer, by profession, is a computer forensic expert.

However, Kramer is more well-known as the co-founder of the sci-fi convention Dragon Con and for the years he spent battling Gwinnett County as he wound up pleading guilty to child molestation charges.


But in his motion, Kramer accuses Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter of being the hacker and demands the DA's office should be recused from any of Kramer’s existing cases, writing that he found the "strong likelihood of an individual or individuals actively accessing Judge Schrader's computer." Also in his motion, Kramer says the judge suspected Porter of the hacking.

Kramer was arrested by police on suspicion of taking photos of a child in a doctor’s office.

Kramer said while police body cameras recorded police arresting him in a hospital lobby, authorities at the same time searched his Duluth home and seized, among other things, his data about the judge's computer.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation was then called in to investigate the suspected hack. Kramer dropped the allegations while sitting in jail on the new charges.

Thomas worked the phones all day Tuesday, speaking with the key people involved.

Ward said he doesn't know who the judge suspected. Porter denies being involved in any hacking and is concerned that Kramer might have had access to the county's computer system for several days.

Thomas received the following statement from Gwinnett's court administration:

"We are cooperating fully with this ongoing criminal investigation. At this time we have no additional comment."