Gwinnett house explodes before fire kills teen inside, witnesses say

Gwinnett house explodes before fire kills teen inside, witnesses say

GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. — A Gwinnett County home exploded Friday before a fire killed a teenager inside, witnesses told Channel 2 Action News.

Channel 2's Tony Thomas was at the scene on Rockmill Court in Lawrenceville where crews tried to get the fire under control.

"I see my kids bedroom on fire," a woman who lived in the home said.

Content Continues Below

She had to grab all four of her small children --- the youngest being just 6 months old --- and rescue them from their burning home.

"First, I seen smoke, black smoke coming from the window and soon as I got out from my kids' room to hallway, I hear explosions everywhere all over the house, explosions one after the other," she said.

She said her 17-year-old brother-in-law who was autistic didn't make it. Gwinnett County firefighters said he died at the hospital.


"Firefighters were able to make entry and find a victim inside in the basement area," said Fire Capt. Tommy Rutledge. "They were able to rescue him via a window in the basement. He was taken to the hospital with very serious injuries."

The family said the teen identified as Admir Ramic was asleep in the basement.

"We couldn't save him. There was fire everywhere all over the house," the victim's sister-in-law said.

She said their Friday morning started with a call to Atlanta Gas Light.

"I woke up this morning and the whole house smelled like gas," she said.

She said a worker came out around 11 a.m.

"There was a gas leak downstairs, and they left, they told us it was safe for us to come in. We came in, hour or two maybe, you just see the house exploding," she said.

Fire investigators said they still don't know what caused the fire or where it started.

Atlanta Gas Light sent a statement, saying in part:

"We were notified of a fire at 513 Rockmill court in Lawrenceville. We are assisting the local authorities with their investigation. We can confirm an Atlanta Gas Light employee was at the home earlier in the day and left the home in a safe condition."

Three adults and eight children made it out alive but are without a home.