• Finch Elementary reopens following CO poisoning


    ATLANTA - Students returned to Finch Elementary School Friday morning four days after dozens were poisoned by carbon monoxide.

    Atlanta Public Schools said they have taken all precautions with the temporary boiler that replaced what was thought to be a faulty boiler. The new one has been tested and is safe, the district said.

    On Monday, around 50 students got sick at the school. Many were carried out by firefighters.

    Superintendent Erroll Davis said on Thursday that two maintenance workers were doing routine work on the school’s air conditioning system last Friday and forgot to flip a valve to the heating system, overloading the boiler and causing the leak. Initially, APS said the incident was caused by a faulty boiler.

    “When all this broke, I would have hoped that they would have come forward and at least indicated that they were working on the equipment in the building,” Davis said during a news conference on Thursday.

    Since Monday’s incident, students have been bussed over to Kennedy Middle School for classes. APS said attendance has been low, but with classes back at Finch on Friday, the principal is encouraging everyone to attend.

    Counselors will be on hand Friday for students who need them.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Finch Elementary reopens following CO poisoning

  • Headline Goes Here

    Officials say inmate died after fight with another inmate

  • Headline Goes Here

    Georgia agency reports progress in state's rape kit backlog

  • Headline Goes Here

    QB Fields shows off dual-threat skills in Dogs' spring game

  • Headline Goes Here

    Georgia county gets no proposals for Confederate monument