COBB COUNTY, Ga. — A local family of 16 is homeless just before Thanksgiving.
A fire gutted their home right after they brought a new baby home from the hospital.
"It's a nightmare. It's something you wouldn't want to wake up to," said Victoria Natt, the mother.
The Natt family lived at the home in Marietta for a decade. Now, yellow tape from the fire department is wrapped around the front, and a tarp covers the roof.
Tyrell Natt woke up first, around 3:30 a.m. Wednesday.
“By the time I woke up, I could barely breathe," he said.
The 20-year-old and 10 siblings fell asleep in the living room on Horseshoe Bend Road, after watching a movie.
“I was so scared, I didn’t know what to do, so I started just waking up my siblings and just got everybody out of the house,” Tyrell Natt said.
His brother woke up their parents, Tevares and Victoria Natt.
Victoria Natt had just come home from the hospital the day before after delivering a baby. Everyone made it out of the fire except the 5-day-old girl. Tevares crawled back into the house with a lighter as his guide. Then the light went out.
"I didn’t know where the fire was or how close it was, but he went in, he had to feel around. She made some type of noise, and he got her out of there," Victoria said. “In the nick of time, because when he came out, flames is all we seen. Front door melted."
The mother’s uncle also escaped.
The kids' school, Hollydale Elementary, stepped in. They asked churches and other schools for donations.
“And then we’ve also brought our resources, our clothes, our kids’ clothes, I mean whatever the need was, we were like, 'OK. What do we need to do?,'” said teacher Keisha Crawford.
The Natts may have lost everything, but they have each other, all 16 of them.
“You can’t be thankful for nothing else, but to have everyone together. That’s it!,” Victoria Natt said.
A GoFundMe has been set up to help the family. You can donate here.
© 2020 Cox Media Group