Gas leak impacts busiest ER in Georgia; ambulances rerouted, patients relocated

COBB COUNTY, Ga. — Atlanta Gas Light crews worked late Wednesday night to repair a gas main break next to Wellstar Kennestone Hospital in Marietta.

Construction crews hit a gas main near the hospital, and several busy streets nearby were shut down. Channel 2 Action News used exclusive mapping technology and NewsChopper 2 to show you the closures on Channel 2 Action News at 5.

Officials told us ambulances en route to the busiest emergency room in the state were being rerouted around the closed streets. Also, patients in part of the hospital were relocated.

"One person said it was about 30 minutes of driving around," said Randall Smith. He owns the Symphony of Toys store about a block away off Cherokee Street.

He said he had customers getting rerouted because of all the road closures.

The leak was contained and the break fixed just before 11 p.m., and hospital staff said patients are back in their rooms and operations have returned to normal.


Monday 5:49 p.m.

Church Street is expected to reopen in a few minutes.

5:09 p.m.

Channel 2 Cobb County Bureau Chief Chris Jose has learned the gas leak is contained.

4:52 p.m.

Channel 2 Cobb County Bureau Chief Chris Jose just reported it could be another 90 minutes before the gas line is contained.

4:46 p.m.

Thankfully, no injuries have been reported.

4:36 p.m.

Two additional buildings are being evacuated. Channel 2 Cobb County Bureau Chief Chris Jose said they're buildings on Witcher Street and they both have doctor's offices.

4:32 p.m.

"There is a distinct smell of gas in the air," Jose said moments ago on Channel 2 Action News.

4:29 p.m.

Traffic in the area of Cherokee Street is a mess. NewsChopper 2 is in the air to help guide you around the mess. WATCH Channel 2 Action News RIGHT NOW for updates.

4:26 p.m.

Ambulances en route to the emergency room are impacted.

3:51 p.m.

Marietta police told Channel 2 Cobb County Bureau Chief Chris Jose that patients in the green tower of the hospital are being relocated. Officials said the hospital is still open.