• Clayton Co. fugitive arrested after standoff


    ATLANTA - The search for one of Clayton County's most wanted fugitives ended in gunfire, a standoff and ultimately the suspect's arrest.

    U.S. Marshals were serving an arrest warrant in southwest Atlanta for a Clayton County fugitive, who they say is wanted for murder.

    Investigators said he tried to escape, but decided to fire on officers instead.

    Those living along Regents Street in southwest Atlanta told Channel 2 Action News they were relieved to learn of the arrest of a top 10 most wanted Clayton County fugitive on their street.

    The residents would only speak to Channel 2's Amanda Cook off camera.

    "When something like this goes on, it kind of stirs up the neighborhood, so I don't like it at all," one person said.

    "I'm glad they took somebody down. He's off the street so that's a good thing," another neighbor said.

    Channel 2 Action News was in the neighborhood early Saturday when officers from several jurisdictions and U.S. Marshals arrested 41-year-old Victoriano Javier Perez. He was wanted for fatally shooting a 21-year-old man in the head in Forest Park back in June.

    "The Southeast Regional Task Force, which is comprised of metro Atlanta agencies looking for wanted fugitives, had information that a wanted fugitive out of Clayton County was holed up here," said Atlanta Police Capt. Scott Kehrer.

    But officers said Perez didn't surrender without a fight.

    Kehrer said Perez tried to escape through a window with a gun in his hand. Officers shot at Perez, but missed.

    "He retreated back in the house and held himself there for approximately an hour," Kehrer said.

    Neighbors spoke of the commotion during the standoff.

    That's when a SWAT team was called out and the situation soon ended.

    "While they were en route, the suspect gave up," Kehrer said. "Everybody was safe and secure, and we have a homicide suspect in custody from Clayton County."

    Perez cut his arm when he tried to escape out the window. He was taken to a hospital for treatment. He's now in jail custody.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Clayton Co. fugitive arrested after standoff

  • Headline Goes Here

    City of Atlanta confirms 'ransomware cyber attack' on network servers

  • Headline Goes Here

    Child killed, 3 others injured in Douglas County house fire

  • Headline Goes Here

    Protest over shooting of unarmed black man causes Hawks game delay in CA

  • Headline Goes Here

    Driver sought after man is killed in hit-and-run accident