• Children rescued from space heater fire

    Updated:

    HALL COUNTY, Ga. - A 9-year-old Hall County girl was treated for smoke inhalation and released from Northeast Georgia Medical Center following a fire in her Gainesville home early Thursday morning.

    Lydia Ladd turned on a space heater to warm up her bedroom and that apparently sparked a fire around 5 a.m., according to her grandfather.

    "She fell asleep and when she woke up the room was on fire. The dog barked and woke up my son. He pulled her off the bed and got them out of house on time," said Maxey Ladd.

    Maxey Ladd told Channel 2's Tom Regan his son also rescued his grandson from a room across the hallway. He said his granddaughter is doing better but was badly shaken.

    "She was scared to death when we got there. We all were, all were. It could have been a lot worse,"Maxey Ladd said.

    Maxey Ladd said there was substantial damage to two bedrooms in the home on Ada Creek Drive. He also wished to thank neighbors and friends that have offered their support.


    Next Up:


  • Headline Goes Here

    Children rescued from space heater fire

  • Headline Goes Here

    Tex McIver found guilty of murdering his wife

  • Headline Goes Here

    Juror in Tex McIver trial: 'It definitely took a lot of compromise'

  • Headline Goes Here

    A breakdown of the verdict in the Tex McIver trial

  • Headline Goes Here

    5 things to know about Diane McIver