ATLANTA — Following the announcement by the Fulton County District Attorney that police officers will be charged in the shooting death of Rayshard Brooks, his widow wept as she talked about his final moments.
The family's attorneys say that while they are grateful for the charges, it is only the beginning.
Attorney L. Chris Stewart said he was encouraged by the possibility that one of the officers will testify against another, but added that the family is disgusted at the allegation that an officer kicked Brooks after the shooting.
"I was very hurt. I didn't imagine being there because I don't know what I would have done if I would have seen that for myself," said Brooks' widow, Tomika Miller. "But I felt just by hearing what he went through, and it hurt. It hurt really bad."
The attorneys said this is another example of the state of policing, but were encouraged by the charges filed on Wednesday.
FULL RAYSHARD BROOKS COVERAGE:
- New photos released to find woman accused of starting Wendy’s fire during protests
- ‘They shot him down like a dog.’ Father wants justice in killing of Rayshard Brooks
- Witness describes shooting of Rayshard Brooks, says it was ‘worst possible outcome’
- “How many more protests will it take?” Rayshard Brooks family calls for ‘drastic change’ of police department
- 911 call details moments that led up to killing of Rayshard Brooks'
- Tyler Perry to pay for funeral of Rayshard Brooks
- Autopsy reveals Rayshard Brooks died from two gunshot wounds to the back
- Rayshard Brooks’ wife says police have destroyed her family
- DA to make decision next week about whether to charge officer in Rayshard Brooks death
- $10,000 reward for information on suspects who started Wendy’s fire
- DA says felony murder charge on table in Rayshard Brooks shooting after ‘unreasonable’ escalation
- PHOTOS: Mourners set up memorial to Rayshard Brooks outside Wendy’s
- Rayshard Brooks: APD releases body camera footage from deadly Wendy’s shooting
- Atlanta Police Chief Erika Shields resigns after shooting death of Rayshard Brooks
- Multiple protests held across metro Atlanta Sunday
- Timeline: Here’s how protests unfolded Saturday night
- PHOTOS: Protesters rally after deadly police shooting near Wendy’s
- Video released of moment man was shot, killed by police outside Atlanta Wendy’s
© 2020 © 2020 Cox Media Group