ATLANTA — If you are turning to MARTA to get around parts of metro Atlanta due to gas outages, MARTA says they are doing their part to make sure you have a way to get around.
The transit authority says they have at least a two to three day reserve of fuel on hand for their buses.
[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]
Channel 2′s Tom Regan spoke to MARTA’s Deputy General Manager of Operations Collie Greenwood who said they have an agreement in place with a local supplier to ensure they’ll have enough diesel fuel for their buses.
Greenwood credits advance planning which allowed MARTA make sure they were prepared for a situation like an outage.
“We do have an agreement with our supplier they are already treating us as a priority customer. The goal is not to get to the point where you are getting low. they continue to top off our reserve with daily deliveries,” said Greenwood.
Greenwood explained that only 30% of their buses run on diesel. The other 70% are powered by compressed natural gas which he says makes a “huge” difference during an outage. He told Regan, they’re prepared to make adjustments to operations should their fuel supplies get pinched.
“Marta has not yet had to streamline routes. That is something we would look at doing if the shortage is sustained,” said Greenwood.
- METRO ATLANTA GAS TRACKER: Where to find gas near you
- Pictures show thousands of cicadas emerging in Blairsville
- Griffin police search for thief who tried to steal gas from U-Haul truck
Regan spoke to several MARTA riders most of whom don’t have a big concern.
“I don’t drive cars, I ride the bus and trains and stuff. Are you worried about routes being cut because of the fuel shortage? I didn’t get that far yet, said Stanley Southerland.
[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]
College student Shawn Feliciano who is a MARTA regular, is just hoping there won’t be any cutbacks.
‘So you’re hoping they don’t cut back on service? that would be a big problem for me,” said Feliciano