• Homes, businesses without water for hours in NE Atlanta

    By: Rikki Klaus


    ATLANTA - Hundreds of people were without water for hours in northeast Atlanta Thursday as crews worked to repair a water main break.

    The 8-inch main broke Thursday morning on Glen Iris Drive near Ponce City Market in Old Fourth Ward.

    Several homes and businesses in the area were without water until just before 4 p.m. The city brought in dozens of bottles of water to help people until they could get everything repaired.

    Channel 2’s Rikki Klaus was on the scene as crews worked to repair the break and fix the large hole it caused in the road.

    She spoke to neighbors struggling to fix their Thanksgiving meal without running water.

    "I learned about it when I started to put on my turkey at 7 this morning that there was no water, and I called downstairs. I live right in Ponce City Market, and they said the whole market is out. That was … not fun," Marilynn Davis said.

    Davis said she's thankful for the Atlanta Watershed crew who spent their Thanksgiving repairing the break.

    “This isn’t how the work crew planned to spend their Thanksgiving, either, so it’s an inconvenience for everybody, but in the scheme of things, it’s not the end of the world," she said.

    Just before 4 p.m., crews finished repairing the pipes, flushed the line and restored water to the area. The put a temporary fix over the large hole in the road and reopened the road to traffic, but there's still more to do.

    Engineers will be sent out to assess the weak spots under the road, and repairs will continue.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Homes, businesses without water for hours in NE Atlanta

  • Headline Goes Here

    Man says he was kicked off flight over business logo on his shirt

  • Headline Goes Here

    Goat carcasses found behind home are from ritualistic killing, police say

  • Headline Goes Here

    Popular sandwich chain restaurant fails health inspection

  • Headline Goes Here

    SUV key to solving 60-year-old man's hit-and-run death, police say