ATLANTA — Overnight Sunday and into early morning Monday we can expect below-freezing temperatures.
Severe Weather Team 2 Meteorologist Jennifer Lopez says a Freeze Warning is in effect and will last until 12 p.m. Monday.
Lopez is forecasting temperatures in the mid-20s in the metro area.
[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]
In north Georgia, residents of Blairsville and surrounding areas will encounter temperatures as low as 19.
All pets should be brought inside and you should continue to take precautions to wrap perennial plants that must remain outside.
Warming centers are open and available.
Two warming centers will open Sunday night at 8 p.m. in the City of Atlanta due to the below-freezing temperatures.
The warming centers will be located at Old Adamsville Recreation Center, 3404 Delmar Ln NW, Atlanta, GA 30331 and Central Park, 400 Merritts Ave. NE, Atlanta, GA 30308.
- Engine failure forces plane to make emergency landing on Georgia interstate, officials say
- I-75 reopened following deadly crash investigation, Atlanta police say
- Doorbell camera catches suspects breaking into, stealing neighbor’s vehicle, Atlanta police say
Transportation will be provided to both locations beginning at 8 p.m. from the Gateway Center, located at 275 Pryor St. SW, Atlanta, GA 30303, with return transportation when the centers close.
The warming centers will be open until 6 a.m. on Monday, March 20.
DeKalb County will open the following warming centers for residents to use on Sunday, March 19, and Monday, March 20, beginning at 8 p.m.:
- Fire Station 3, 100 N. Clarendon Avenue, Avondale Estates, GA 30002
- Fire Station 4, 4540 Flakes Mill Road, Ellenwood, GA 30294
- Fire Station 6, 2342 Flat Shoals Road, Atlanta, GA 30316
- North DeKalb Senior Center, 3393 Malone Drive, Chamblee, GA 30341
For more information on DeKalb warming centers, click here.
Five warming centers will be available in Gwinnett County between 6 p.m. and 7 a.m.
- Buford Senior Center, 2755 Sawnee Avenue (Bus route 101 I-985, stop 19)
- Snellville’s Centerville Senior Center, 3025 Bethany Church Road
- Duluth’s Shorty Howell Park Activity Building, 2750 Pleasant Hill Road (Bus route 10B, stop 542 and 108)
- Lawrenceville Senior Center, 225 Benson Street (Bus route 40, stop 836 and 337)
- Norcross’ Best Friend Park Gym, 6224 Jimmy Carter Boulevard (Bus route 35, stop 407 and 906)
Temperatures for the first day of Spring will be almost 20 degrees below average for the morning. However, later on in the week temperatures will begin to warm up.
By the end of the week, afternoon highs will be in the 80s.
[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]
©2022 Cox Media Group