• Atlanta elementary school admits mold problem

    By: Craig Lucie


    ATLANTA - A local elementary school has mold in eight rooms and one parent said her child got sick.

    Whitefoord Elementary School’s principal sent a letter home to parents. It said the problem is not unique to Atlanta Public Schools. It goes on to say that the excessive amounts of rain have increased mold in homes, buildings and other school districts.

    “That’s nothing to play with. Mold is nothing to play with,” Ozella Booker told Channel 2’s Craig Lucie.

    The health problems that mold can cause range from sneezing and coughing to serious allergic reactions and asthma attacks.

    “I think I would have asked my daughter and her mother to take off because mold is something you don’t play with,” explained Booker.

    Booker said she wasn’t aware of the mold problems at the elementary school in southeast Atlanta. Her grandchild is enrolled with 4-year-old Ryan McCall. He has asthma.

    “I know mold is a trigger for his allergies and asthma,” said Ryan’s mother, Nasia Reese.

    Reese told Lucie that she thinks the mold in his classroom did trigger his allergies.

    “A female student in his class was sick as well. When he wasn’t feeling good, he stayed out school for two days,” explained Reese.

    Two days after Reese received the letter from Whitefoord Elementary School’s principal, she knew something was wrong. The letter stated that low-level mold issues were found in seven classrooms and one office.

    It goes on to say that they brought in certified, licensed contractors and students and staff had to be relocated to non-impacted areas.

    Lucie reached out to an Atlanta Public Schools spokesperson Thursday morning to get more information about their cleaning efforts, but he did not hear back from them Thursday afternoon.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Atlanta elementary school admits mold problem

  • Headline Goes Here

    WANTED: Convicted murderer leaves courthouse before verdict is read

  • Headline Goes Here

    Firefighters save woman from burning home

  • Headline Goes Here

    Security upped in Newnan ahead of planned neo-Nazi rally

  • Headline Goes Here

    Driver shoots at another car in road rage incident along I-20