• Alpharetta man says brother on lockdown over Navy yard shooting

    By: Mike Petchenik


    ALPHARETTA, Ga. - An Alpharetta man tells Channel 2 Action News his brother is safe after a gunman opened fire in the building where he works at the Washington D.C. Naval Yard.

    Adam Naide, a social media director for Cox Enterprises, parent company of WSB-TV, told Channel 2's Mike Petchenik he received a news alert on his phone Monday morning, then a text from his sister-in-law.

    "There's a shooter in the Naval yard, my brother is in lock down, he was safe, and that's all we knew at the time," said Naide, a D.C. area native.

    Naide said his brother, Eric, is a civilian employee at the facility and was only supposed to be in the office for a few hours before traveling. Three thousand people work at the facility, officials said.

    "It's certainly one of those things where being in the right place or wrong place at the wrong time is just awful to hear," he said.

    Naide told Petchenik he immediately began texting with his older brother, and was unnerved to find out he was working in the same building where the shootings occurred. Naide said he followed the developments closely on Twitter.

    "You always see these things, but to have someone close to you a part of it, is extremely upsetting in some ways," said Naide.

    Naide told Petchenik his brother was escorted out of the building under police cover and remained on the property for police interviews.

    "My thoughts and prayers go out to all the people injured and killed today," he said. "Innocent victims."

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Alpharetta man says brother on lockdown over Navy yard shooting

  • Headline Goes Here

    LIVE UPDATES: Newnan prepares for neo-Nazi rally, possible clashes

  • Headline Goes Here

    WATCH LIVE: Guests begin to arrive for Barbara Bush's funeral

  • Headline Goes Here

    The Dawgs are back! Here's what you can expect at the 2018 G-Day game

  • Headline Goes Here

    WANTED: Convicted murderer leaves courthouse before verdict is read