Former NFL player, convicted murderer Aaron Hernandez found dead

BOSTON — Aaron Hernandez has committed suicide in prison, according to officials.

Hernandez was discovered hanged in his cell by corrections officers at the Souza Baranowski Correctional Center in Shirley, Massachusetts around 3:05 a.m.

Hernandez was in a single cell in a general population housing unit when he was found hanging from a bed sheet that he had attached to his cell window, according to officials.

Lifesaving techniques were attempted on Hernandez and he was transported to UMASS Leominster where he was pronounced dead at 4:07 a.m. by a physician at the hospital. Hernandez also tried to block his door from the inside by jamming it with several items, according to officials.

Hernandez, 27, grew up in Bristol, Connecticut, and played for the New England Patriots from 2010 to 2012. He previously played for the Florida Gators from 2007 to 2009.

Hernandez was convicted for killing Odin Lloyd, 27, on June 17, 2013. Lloyd, who was dating the sister of Hernandez's fiancee, was found shot to death in an abandoned industrial yard.


In addition to the murder charge, Hernandez was found guilty of unlawful possession of a firearm and unlawful possession of ammunition.

Because of the first-degree murder conviction, Hernandez was automatically sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Last week, a jury acquitted Hernandez in a 2012 double slaying prosecutors said was fueled by his anger over a drink spilled at a nightclub.

Former NFL Star Aaron Hernandez Commits Suicide in Prison

Former NFL star Aaron Hernandez was found hanged in his prison cell:

Posted by WSB-TV on Wednesday, April 19, 2017

The former New England Patriots tight end choked back tears as the verdicts were read in court. A few moments later, he looked back at his fiancee and nodded somberly as relatives of the victims sobbed loudly. A defense attorney hugged him.

After six days of deliberations, the jury found Hernandez not guilty of first-degree murder in the killings of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado but convicted him of unlawful possession of a gun. The judge sentenced him to an additional four to five years in prison, separate from his existing life sentence.