by: Debbie Lord, Cox Media Group National Content Desk Updated:
As Irma churns across the Atlantic as a powerful Category 5 hurricane, the time to prepare is now.
Severe Weather Team 2 will have continuing coverage as the storm develops.
Here are a few items you can put together to make a last-minute hurricane preparation kit.
- One gallon of water per person per day
- A flashlight and extra batteries
- A three-day supply of non-perishable food – canned goods such as tuna, beans, and soup; peanut butter, bread, honey, energy bars, cereal, etc
- Paper products like paper plates, paper towels, and toilet paper; also plastic forks and knives
- A map of the area you live in or where you intend to evacuate to – GPS may be out, roads may be blocked and you may need to find alternative routes
- A manual can opener
- A first aid kit
- Some wet wipes
- A pair of pliers or wrench to turn off utilities
- A whistle to signal for help
- A hand-crank or battery-operated radio
We're tracking the timing of the rain and storms on Channel 2 Action News throughout the day.
© 2017 Cox Media Group.
HURRICANE IRMA: Here is a list of items for a last-minute preparation kit
Truck driver with anti-Trump bumper sticker arrested on unrelated charge
Man beaten, robbed during Plenty of Fish meetup, police say
Boy, 10, dies after getting tangled in park swing
Florida man covered in facial tattoos arrested in car theft, police say