Atlanta United FC, Atlanta's soccer team, has taken the city by storm, introducing fans to the excitement of Major League Soccer matches. From the chants to the huge banners supporting the club, the matches create an exciting, electric atmosphere that has attracted long-time soccer fans as well as those who are new to the sport.
If you want to join in on the fun, here's what you need to know as a fan:
Atlanta United fan clubs
Fan clubs help support the team in the stands with chants and other activities, and they also sometimes meet to tailgate or socialize. Each has a code of conduct to ensure that the cheering stays fun and doesn't get out of hand.
The following are some of the largest Atlanta United fan clubs that support the team:
- Terminus Legion – has chapters in several cities throughout Georgia as well as in Alabama and South Carolina
- Resurgence – focuses on tifo (a huge, elaborate banner supporting the team) design
- Footie Mob – tailgates with food provided by partner restaurants
- Faction – made up of soccer coaches, players and parents
Atlanta United for kids
Atlanta United has an academy that offers invitations to players throughout the world to attend and receive coaching, guidance and evaluation. The academy has five teams – under 12-year-olds, under- 13, under-14, under-16 and under-18 – and the goal is to eventually sign some of these players to the club.
Where to buy Atlanta United fan gear
If you want to support the club by wearing their kits (uniforms) and other branded items, you can find them at the following places:
- Team Store at Atlantic Station, 1374 Atlantic Drive NW, Atlanta. Suite 14145. This is the site of the team's official store, and when you visit, park in section 5 of the parking deck beneath the store for the shortest walk.
- MLS Store Major League Soccer's online store has plenty of Atlanta team items for men, women and kids.
- Chain outlets: Gear is also available at chain stores like Dick's Sporting Goods, Academy Sports and Walmart.
How to get the latest news on Atlanta United
- Sign up - Sign up for news, ticket offers and other content from the club at its website.
- Message boards – Message boards cover everything from the local club to MLS to favorite teams and players from around the world.
- Social media - Follow the team on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
- Media outlets - Check out WSB-TV's sports page and the AJC's Atlanta United Channel for match coverage, features and more.
Where to watch a match
After playing some of their inaugural season at Georgia Tech's Bobby Dodd Stadium, the team now plays at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
If the club is playing out of town and you'd still like to watch the match in a social atmosphere, head to one of the club's pub partners. Each pub has agreed to televise every match throughout the season.
For more information:
Atlanta United FC
© 2018 Cox Media Group.