Raw Sewage Spill Leaves Family Homeless

Updated:

COWETA COUNTY, Ga. - A Coweta County family is trying to clean up after a huge mess inside their Grantville home.

A clogged city sewer line spilled raw sewage into the house on Monday, soaking the carpet, baseboards, furniture and other belongings.

"When I walked in, it was just a disaster," David Holmes told Channel 2 Action News reporter Manuel Bojorquez.

He said his wife, Nicole, discovered the sewage seeping out of their front door when she came home from work.

"You just want to break down and cry ... you've lost everything," he said.

Holmes said the city's insurance company offered $5,000 in compensation, but the family feels that's not enough.

"That's raw, toxic sewage on our clothes ... everything," said Nicole Holmes, pointing to the belongings that now are in the garage and front yard.

Grantville City Manager Mike Renshaw said the city is trying to work with the Holmeses, but must go through its insurance company.

Renshaw said the insurance company is still processing the claim, so no final figure has been reached.

The family rented the home on Connie Trail but did not have renter's insurance.

The owner of the property also must file a claim through the city's insurance company.

The Holmeses said they have not been offered a place to stay since the sewage spill and are relying on the kindness of neighbors for a temporary home.


Channel 2 Action News

Delivered To Your Inbox