Parents react to watching day care brawl video



HENRY COUNTY, Ga. - Some parents are demanding day care workers be held responsible after Channel 2 Action News showed exclusive video of a brawl inside a Henry County baby room.

Several parents contacted Channel 2's Rachel Stockman, upset that they were never notified of the extent of what happened.

After that video aired, some parents said they were horrified after seeing their babies in the video. Other parents called Channel 2 to say that they were made aware of the fight the day they picked their children up.

"I was told about it a year ago, and was told it was handled," said parent Courtney Maddow.

But Brittany and Adrian Fernander said they were shocked about what happened at the McGarity School of Prep in McDonough and realized their son was in the middle of the room -- only when Channel 2 Action News first aired the surveillance video on Thursday.

“I can’t believe this is happening. It’s not real. This can’t happen at a day care that we put our children in,” said parent Brittany Fernander.

Police said a parent and day care workers, including the owner Erika Broadway fought it out in the middle of the room with children around. Police said Broadway can be seen throwing punches while the father holds onto his 1-year-old son.

Investigators said the father started the fight, upset his son was suspended. The father said it's the day care workers fault.

“I didn't care who’s to blame, I care that they didn't have enough respect for the children in the room,” Fernander said.

Several days ago, the Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning launched an investigation after we showed them the video.

“You take kids to day care you assume safe and then to come to find out they were at risk to be hurt physically,” Adrian Fernander said.

Thursday, the owner called the cops on Channel 2 when we showed up at the day care. They later told us she was defending herself in the video.

“I know there is a lot of adrenaline and a lot of emotion but you got to take a step back and really think about what is going on,” said Adrian Fernander.

Stockman tried to contact the owner again Sunday on her cell phone and email, but haven't heard back.