Posted: 5:41 p.m. Friday, Oct. 26, 2012

Snellville man speaks out about alleged Boy Scout abuse

Boy scout files
Channel 2 Action News has gone through documents that were released after a ruling by the Oregon Supreme Court detailing hundreds of cases of alleged sex crimes by Boy Scout leaders.

Related

Boy Scout Abuse photo
Antony Bordoli, 40, said he's coming forward now because he wants to put a face to the thousands of pages released last week, detailing abuse by Boy Scout leaders and volunteers

By Kerry Kavanaugh

SNELLVILLE, Ga. —

A local man is speaking out about alleged abuse he suffered as a child while a member of the Boy Scouts in South Florida.

Antony Bordoli, 40, told Channel 2's Kerry Kavanaugh he's coming forward now because he wants to put a face to the thousands of pages released last week, detailing abuse by Boy Scout leaders and volunteers.

After speaking to Bordoli over the phone and emailing him, Kavanaugh met him face-to-face Friday.

Bordoli said he wanted to speak without anonymity to give courage to others to step out of the shadows.

"Sometimes I wonder what's more damaging, the actual abuse itself or keeping the secret for decades after," said Bordoli.

He said the abuse he suffered began when he was about 11 years old and a member of Boy Scout Troop 64 in Miami, Fla.

Bordoli, who now lives in Snellville, said it started with what he calls "grooming."

He said Scoutmasters introduced him to underage driving, drinking and pornography.

"That was done in sort of a fun group setting that hey, we're all breaking the rules here," he said.

He said later, when he was in more isolated circumstances with his scoutmaster, things escalated to sexual abuse.

Bordoli said the pattern continued roughly six years, despite other parents raising concerns to his mother.

"I would be in total denial and total kind of protection mode of the abusers," Bordoli said.

Bordoli said he began letting go when saw stacks and stacks of files.

Last week, the Oregon Supreme Court ordered the Boy Scouts of America to release the so-called "perversion files."

The files were of documented allegations of abuse and sexual misconduct against roughly 1,000 scoutmasters and volunteers across the country from 1959 to 1985.

"You're not alone. This was not just happening in one troop," Bordoli said.

Channel 2 Action News is not naming his alleged abusers. Bordoli said they, nor his troop, were named in the files.

Kavanaugh reached out the Boy Scouts of America regarding Bordoli's allegations. A representative emailed statement saying, "The Boy Scouts of America's ineligible volunteer files are a list of people that do not meet the organization's standards because of known or suspected abuse, that is brought to the organization's attention.

"The Boy Scouts offers its sincerest apology and deepest regret for the abuse suffered by anyone in Scouting and stands in their support and extends an offer of counseling. Nothing is more important in Scouting than the protection of our youth and even one incidence of abuse is one too many."

But Bordoli is convinced there are more victims out there like him. And he wants to lift the veil on his secret.

"I'm tired of protecting the abusers," Bordoli said.

The spokesperson for the Boy Scouts said they extend deep regrets and stand in support of victims.

They are encouraging Bordoli to report his story to them now.

http://bcove.me/v0kphh6r

 
 

Local News Videos

Local News Videos

Web Links

Did You See It On Channel 2?

Click here for a complete list of websites and links mentioned on Channel 2 Action News.