• Teen dies after ingesting large amounts of caffeine, coroner says


    COLUMBIA, S.C. - A South Carolina teenager died after ingesting large amounts of caffeine, according to the Richland County coroner.

    Coroner Gary Watts said 16-year-old Davis Cripe had a Mountain Dew, a latte from McDonalds and an energy drink on April 26. He collapsed two hours later in a classroom at Spring Hill High School.

    Cripe, a sophomore, was a musician and a member of Freeway Music as a drummer, according to his obituary.


    Watts said the final cause of death was a caffeine-induced cardiac event causing probable arrhythmia.

    He said parents need to know that while a soda or a cup of coffee is OK, large amounts of caffeine can be deadly.

    During a news conference Monday, Cripe's father said he hopes parents will talk to their kids about the dangers of consuming energy drinks.

    "Davis was an amazing son and was larger than life and he did everything with great passion. He made us and his friends, laugh non-stop and had an immense love for music and its healing power. He had a personality you couldn't help, but fall in love with," his family wrote in his obituary.

    The Associated Press contributed to this report.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Teen dies after ingesting large amounts of caffeine, coroner says

  • Headline Goes Here

    What's the difference between a tornado watch and warning?

  • Headline Goes Here

    What is the safest place to take cover during a tornado?

  • Headline Goes Here

    5 weather tips that could save your life

  • Headline Goes Here

    How to correctly use hazard lights in severe weather