Man accused of shooting wife may have been living double life

by: Mike Petchenik Updated:

Adina Parson, 40, was found with several gunshot wounds near her apartment at the Residences at Morgan Falls apartment complex.

A Sandy Springs man accused of shooting his wife eight times outside their apartment may have been living a double life, court records indicate.

Michael Parson is facing aggravated assault and other charges after police said he shot his wife, Adina Parson, at their apartment on Roswell Road in April. Adina Parson was shot three times in the head and is now recovering at the Shepherd Center in Atlanta.

A probable cause affidavit obtained by Channel 2’s Mike Petchenik states Michael Parson, a Navy veteran, told police he was receiving treatment for cancer at the Veteran’s Affaris Hospital in Dekalb County at the time of the April 20 shooting, but that he had another person wait at the hospital while he drove to the apartment.

The affidavit said Parson called his wife on the phone and lured her out of the apartment, shooting her as she went to her car to go pick him up. The warrant said phone records placed Parson at the apartment at the time of the shooting. A source confirms investigators believe Parson was faking his cancer.

What’s more shocking to those who know the couple best is that the affidavit claims Parson was hiding his engagement to another woman at the time of the shooting.

According to a Van Zandt Newspaper article about Parson’s arrest, when a state trooper took Parson into custody near Tyler, Texas, during a routine traffic stop earlier this month, the trooper found letters to family members and to a woman named Rachel.

Employees at a Dunwoody Petland store confirmed to Petchenik that Parson was once a manager at the store and that a woman named Rachel once worked there. They said Rachel was in the military, had deployed to Afghanistan last year and had possibly returned home to Georgia in April.

Revelations of Parson’s apparent double life came as a shock to his ex-wife, Ying Amat. Petchenik reached Amat by phone Friday.

“It’s just a shock to everybody,” Amat told Petchenik. “Michael and Adina were a great couple. She was very supportive in anything.”

Amat, who shared custody of a 17-year-old son with Parson, said she never had any idea he might be seeing another woman.

“He could have been living a double life, but at the same time, there’s no way this lady couldn’t have known he had a child,” she said.

Parson’s mother, Margaret Parson, told the Atlanta Journal Constitution news of her son’s arrest was a huge surprise.

"That's not the Michael I know, if he did it," she said. "They were not having any problems, as far as I knew. I just wish I knew more of what happened."

A judge denied bond for Parson this week. He’s due in court for a hearing June 1.