by: Tom Jones Updated:
EAST POINT, Ga. - A woman said her home almost went up in flames when her television caught fire. Now she's warning others who own the same flat-screen TV to be on the
Tammy Parker said it all began Sunday morning after she turned on her Sony Bravia television and later left the room.
"I hear this explosion. And I run out and boom! it's in flames," Parker said.
Parker said she couldn't believe her eyes as she showed Channel 2's Tom Jones the charred section of the television set.
Parker managed to put a little water on the TV and quickly tossed it out the door to get it out of the house.
East Point firefighters arrived and put the fire in the house out.
Once things calmed down, Parker wondered how her 4- to 5-year-old TV
That's when she typed into Google "Sony Television Catches Fire."
"Guess what popped up? Not just Sony televisions catching fire. Sony Bravia," she said.
Sony has had a problem with its Bravia televisions catching fire, but there have been no reported problems with the model Parker has.
She wants to get the word out to anyone who has a Sony Bravia TV to be aware that this could happen.
"This is the craziest thing I ever experienced. I mean, it's not a grease fire. It's not the bacon that I cook every morning. It's not a candle having been lit. It's the television," she said.
Parker reached out to Sony Sunday after the explosion and that night she said a representative told her he will be flying out to investigate the issue next week.
Sony spokeswoman, Elizabeth Boukis, emailed Jones late Wednesday and said Sony's Product Safety team will be meeting with Parker for a thorough analysis and investigation of the issue. She said the Parker's TVwas not a model that was involved in the 2011 home inspection program after Sony Bravia televisions overheated and ignited in Japan.