Updated:GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. —
Gwinnett County fire investigators are looking for what sparked a fire that gutted a Suwanee home Tuesday morning.
The fire started about 8:30 a.m. at Andrew Hills Court.
Channel 2's Kerry Kavanaugh spoke to a 16-year-old boy who said he tried to put the fire out, but there was nothing he could do.
"I didn't want anything to burn down. It was my home but now it's gone," said A.J. Abdula.
The teen said he tried to douse the flames that ate their way through his family's home.
"I was actually inside trying to take the fire out, with water or whatever I could try. But nothing worked," Abdula said.
He was sleep when the fire started, but the home had smoke detectors and Abdula also had his mom.
"My mom was banging on the door and I woke up. I ran downstairs and I thought it was just a kitchen fire; nothing serious," he said.
He said his mother and sister ran outside, Abdula grabbed a kettle and filled it with water. But he said fire in the kitchen soon spread through the garage the upstairs.
Abdula escaped with just minor burns to his hands and legs.
"I couldn't do anything," he said.
"Once firefighters got on the scene, they found that there were heavy smoke and fire conditions coming from around the garage area and up into the second floor, and into the attic," said Gwinnett County Fire Lt. Colin Rhoden.
Firefighters eventually put out the flames and aside from Abdula's burns, no one else was hurt. Abdula said that is the most important thing.
The family said they will stay with relatives while they figure out what to do next.