ATLANTA - Atlanta Public School officials have confirmed that metal detectors were not in use when a boy was shot at a city middle school Thursday.
APS Superintendent Erroll Davis previously told Channel 2 Action News that Price Middle has two metal detectors. According to APS' statement, one of the metal detectors is now operable, and the other one is expected to be by next week. Officials added that safety measures were taken Friday.
"Today, students passed through a metal detector before entering the school. Students were also scanned with security wands," the statement said.
Before the district released the findings, a student outside the school on Friday had insisted that the metal detectors were not being used.
"They have metal detectors, like when you go in the gym you can see them, but they are not on. They are moved to the side, so we can't walk through them or get checked or anything," the sixth-grader told Channel 2's Erica Byfield.
Police said that Thursday, a student shot another student in the back of the head. The shooting happened outside the school, between classes.
The shooting victim has been identified as 14-year-old Telvis Douglas. Douglas was hospitalized and later released. Atlanta police believe the shooting may have been tied to gang activity.
Erroll Davis visited the campus Friday.
"I thought it appropriate to visit here today to make sure that the counselors we have in place are working and the staff is getting the support they need, and certainly the children are getting the support," he said.
District officials said they are working to make sure adequate safety measures are being taken at all city schools.
"It is our priority to immediately test and service all metal detectors at all of our schools. In addition, we are reviewing student entrance and exit procedures to mitigate any potential risk to student safety. We will reiterate school entrance and exit expectations to all local school administrators," the APS statement said.