SACS says Deal moving too fast to replace DeKalb BOE

Updated:

SACS president Mark Elgart addresses concerns over DeKalb school board member replacements.

DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. - Gov. Nathan Deal is set to announce the six new members of the DeKalb School Board at 11 a.m., but the accrediting agency thinks the state is moving too fast.

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools threatened to pull DeKalb County School’s accreditation over alleged mismanagement within the school board. The agency put the school district on probation in December.

Deal suspended six of the nine members of the school board earlier this year, marking the first time a law designed to improve school districts was used.

The head of SACS, Mark Elgart, told lawmakers Tuesday night that he believes the state is moving too quickly, but the governor said it is important to move fast for the sake of the children.

“We believe at least six months, preferably a year, be granted, let the process work,” Elgart said.

“This is not a show-me proposition, this is a get to work, do the important things that we need to do to fully restore accreditation so that the deserving young people in this school system will not in any way be affected by the consequences of adult actions,” Deal said.

The law allowing the governor to replace board members triggers 30 days after a district is put on probation.

Over the weekend, a special panel whittled down the more-than 400 candidates who wanted one of the vacant seats on the school board.

The governor will choose six of the 12 semi-finalists selected by the panel.

WSBTV.com will have livestream the 11 a.m. announcement and have comprehensive coverage beginning on Channel 2 Action News at Noon.



Channel 2 Action News

Delivered To Your Inbox

Newsletter:

Please Wait

Thank You for Subscribing!

Your newsletters will be arriving soon.