In the event of severe weather there are a number of contact numbers you can use to report icy road conditions:
- Georgia DOT NAVIGATOR - 1-877-MY-GA-511 (877-694-2511)
- City of Atlanta: 404-330-6333
- Cobb County - 770.528.1600
- Cherokee County - 770.345.5842
- DeKalb County - 404.294.2900
- Douglas County - 770.949.2000
- Gwinnett County - 770.822.7400
- Clayton County - 770.477.3674
- Fulton County - 404.612.7400
- City of Riverdale - Refer to Clayton County
- City of Roswell - 770.641.3715
- City of Douglasville - Refer to Douglas County
- City of Sandy Springs - 770.730.5600
Driving in Icy Conditions
We encourage everyone to stay off the roads during the storm. However, if you must drive:
- Decrease your speed and leave three times the normal amount of space between you and cars ahead of you.
- Brake gently to avoid skidding. If you wheels lock up, ease off the brakes.
- Keep your headlights ON!
- Use low gears to keep traction, especially on hills.
- Don't use cruise control or overdrive.
If your front wheels skid:
- Take your foot off the gas and shift to neutral, but don't try to steer immediately.
- As the wheels skid sideways, they will slow the vehicle and regain traction. As it does, gently steer in the direction you want to go.
If your rear wheels skid:
- Take your foot off the accelerator.
- Steer gently in the direction you want your front wheels to go.
- If your rear wheels start sliding the other way as you recover, ease the steering wheel toward that side. You may have to steer left and right again several times to get your vehicle under control.
- If you have standard brakes, pump them gently.
If you have anti-lock brakes, do not pump the brakes. Push down steadily, and you will feel a gentle pulsing. (This is normal).