ATLANTA - The Atlanta Police Department has determined that the small explosion that injured a thrift store worker on Tuesday was sparked by commercial-grade pyrotechnics.
APD said it determined the cause after consulting with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
Police said the pyrotechnics likely ignited due to static electricity.
They had been in a parcel at the Veterans Empowerment thrift store on Memorial Drive for two months with no issue until the parcel was handled by a volunteer at the store on Tuesday, police said.
The worker suffered minor burns from the explosion.