LILBURN, Ga. - The Gwinnett County Fire Department is investigating a fatal house fire in Lilburn early Monday morning.
Fire crews were met by a number of challenges, including a gas leak and live power lines, when they arrived at a fully engulfed home on Edith Lane.
Neighbors told police and fire that someone was inside the burning home, but firefighters were not able to get inside the home to save the victim because part of the roof collapsed, and a leaking gas meter and live power lines were in their way.
Once the fire was under control, firefighters found the victim’s body inside the home. The Gwinnett County Medical Examiner identified him as 50-year-old John Hamilton.
“We believe he was staying in the home overnight. In fact, the home was being renovated. At this point, the circumstances are currently under investigation,” Capt. Tommy Rutledge of the Fire Department said.
According to fire investigators, foul play is not suspected.