by: Erin Coleman Updated:
DEKALB COUNTY, Ga,None - DeKalb County Sheriff's officials said a man arrested after a SWAT standoff early Friday is charged with two counts of aggravated assault, reckless conduct, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and criminal damage to property.
The charges come after deputies spent two hours trying to get him to come out of a relative's home at 2937 Duncan Road.
Channel 2’s Erin Coleman was the only reporter there when 31-year-old Monte Carter finally surrendered to authorities early Friday.
Nearly two dozen deputy cruisers covered the area after learning that the barricaded man, who had been running from authorities, was at the home. After refusing to come out for two hours, deputies called for assistance from the SWAT team, which arrived just before 10 a.m.
Carter peacefully surrendered after talking with negotiators, authorities said.
The man’s cousin, Steve Anthony, who also was inside of the home, said Carter was tired of running.
Carter’s arrest stems from firing into a crowd back in September, hitting one man in the leg and shattering the window of an occupied car.
He is now in custody at the DeKalb County Jail.
Man faces multiple charges for 2-hour SWAT standoff
Deputy shot at Tanger Outlets; gunman on the loose
Charges filed against former Gwinnett officers in brutality case
'He brought so much joy': Mother mourns son killed in crash with friends
'He's a little soldier': 3-year-old boy shot in bounce house recovering