Locals recall terror at Boston Marathon



ATLANTA - Channel 2 Action News spoke to several runners returning home from Boston after the deadly marathon bomb explosions.

Channel 2’s Linda Stouffer spent Tuesday interviewing local runners at Hartsfield-Jackson Airport. They said they were relieved to be back after more than 170 people were injured and three people were killed, including an 8-year-old boy, after two bombs exploded at the Boston Marathon on Monday.

She saw many people wearing race jackets and medals.

They talked about how horrible those minutes and hours were after the explosions.

"It was very senseless and just evil," Anthea Economy said.

Economy had crossed the finish line when within minutes, her joy was blown apart.

"A lot of fans, a lot of happiness and it's tragic that a happy occasion that was destroyed, quite honestly" Economy said.

Stouffer also found runners in their bright yellow and blue jackets as they arrived after a very long 24 hours. Several runners said in the moment, it was hard to grasp what was happening around them.

“We thought maybe it was something related to the marathon that was planned and then heard another one. You saw the smoke. We all looked at each other and knew it was time to get out of there that something wasn't right,” Mary Thurman said.

There has been an outpour of support in metro Atlanta and throughout the country since the explosion.

Runner Mike Wien said he's wearing his medal in honor of the victims and the people who didn't have a chance to finish the marathon they'd trained so hard for. Like most of the people Stouffer spoke to, he said he'll go back again.

"Why will I go back? Because the last thing I'll do is let the terrorists win," Wien said.

Runners also talked about how  much the people of Boston helped after the explosions, but they said they are very glad to be home.


MARTA steps up security after marathon bombings

MARTA is increasing security because of the Boston bombings, and that includes a strong presence presence at Tuesday night's Hawks and Braves games.

Anti-terrorism coordinator Sgt. Aston Greene said he's been in constant contact with the FBI, TSA and GEMA since the bombings. Right now, there are more officers on duty than usual and every K-9 unit MARTA has is on duty.

"Our officer and our staff and personnel are trained on how to handle emergencies like this, whether it's a flood, a pandemic, whether it's weapons of mass destruction," Greene said.

Channel 2's Erin Coleman said little more than two weeks ago, MARTA launched an app called 'See Something, Say Something.' If customers see something on a bus, or train, they can take a picture, which goes directly to police.

MARTA will maintain heightened security efforts until further notice.