Lightning sparks fire at Gwinnett home

Updated:

Loading
LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. —

A Gwinnett family has to find a new place to stay after a lightning strike sparked a fire at their home.

The fire happened just before the homeowner was about to go to bed at Thornapple Trail in Lawrenceville. Fire officials say severe weather was responsible for the house catching on fire.

Investigators concluded a bolt of lightning hit the roof and sparked flames in the attic. The homeowner told firefighters she was about to go to bed, when she saw a flash of light, heard a loud noise and smelled smoke.

Bob Kamer said he thought lightning hit his house, but realized it was his neighbors.

“When I first came out all I saw was a little bit of smoke and then you could see the fire shortly after that,” said Kamer.

“We fought heavy flames in the attic when we arrived at the scene,” said Capt. Tommy Rutledge of the Gwinnett County Fire Department.

Fire crews were able to contain the fire, but it gutted the inside of the home destroying everything inside. The homeowner was not injured. Family and friends are helping her with living arrangements.