Updated:GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga —
Several units were destroyed by a fire at the Peachtree Corners Apartment complex on Monday, according to officials.
Authorities say that it may have been caused by a candle that was left burning in a ground-level unit. The occupants of the unit were awakened by a fire alarm and attempted to douse the flames with a portable fire extinguisher, but were unsuccessful.
When firefighters arrived on the scene they were met with heavy smoke and flames. The Gwinnett County Fire Department report said that firefighters had to battle the blaze from outside due to the magnitude of the fire and collapsed structure.
The intense blaze caused heavy damage to approximately 15 of the 20 units in the complex. Firefighters are now working with the apartment complex management and the American Red Cross to provide assistance to displaced occupants of the building.
Firefighters have not been able to do a complete search of the structure due to the damage.
They are still trying to make verbal contact with one family, but do not believe anyone is inside the building at this time.