• Grady student who shot herself now charged in hit-and-run


    ATLANTA - A 17-year-old student facing several charges after accidentally shooting herself outside Grady High School now faces hit-and-run charges.

    Morgan Tukes faced a judge Thursday on charges stemming from the shooting, but she won’t be released from custody because Atlanta police filed another warrant for her based on an October hit-and-run case.

    Tukes is expected back before a judge on Friday for the new charges of aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer, obstruction, reckless driving and fleeing and attempting to elude a law enforcement officer.

    According to a police report, the hit-and-run took place in the parking lot of a northeast Atlanta McDonald’s restaurant on Ponce De Leon Avenue. The report said someone in a black Ford Explorer struck a city vehicle and took off.

    Channel 2's Amy Napier Viteri said the report indicated Tukes did not stop, even as a sheriff's deputy chased after her on foot, and she may have hit that deputy. The victim in the crash told Napier Viteris she's still dealing with medical issues from the crash.

    For the shooting, Tukes faces a felony charge of minor in possession of a pistol, as well as misdemeanor charges of reckless conduct, carrying a weapon within a school safety zone and disrupting a public school. Her parents watched from behind a glass wall as the judge read those charges in court.

    Atlanta police said Tukes, a senior, was carrying a pink .380 Taurus handgun on Grady High School grounds Wednesday morning when it went off, shooting her in the leg.

    A judge granted her a signature bond in the shooting case but is also requiring Tukes to stay at least 100 yards away from the high school.

    After court, her parents said they look forward to seeing her. Her father said he’d like to “just tell her I love her and that I’m ready for her to come home.”

    Tukes remains in the Fulton County Jail until her hearing on Friday morning.

    Next Up: