Gov. Deal forms severe weather task force

Updated:

Loading

ATLANTA - Gov. Nathan Deal announced Monday the 30 people who will make up his Severe Weather Task Force and investigate what went wrong during the winter storm that paralyzed Metro Atlanta last week.
 

"It will specifically examine the information gathering and weather predictions and how that information is used and implemented during times of extreme weather events," said Deal.
 
The task force includes Channel 2 Action News Severe Weather Team 2 Chief Meteorologist Glenn Burns, along with the heads of Georgia Emergency Management Agency, the Georgia Department of Transportation, Department of Natural Resources, the Georgia National Guard, the DeKalb, Fulton and Marietta School Districts, state senators and representatives, Atlanta Police and Fire Departments, along with other private sector companies.
 
"The purpose of the task force is to better prepare our state, its communities and our resources for severe weather," Deal said.
 
Deal said the task force will issue its recommendations report 60 days after its first meeting.
 
Meanwhile, Deal announced some steps he will take immediately, including the creation of a Weather Alert system based on the existing Amber Alert system.  The state will also email school districts with warnings and weather conditions, and it plans to over Georgia emergency app to include information on shelters and alternate transportation routes.
 
Deal also said he expects an internal review of the emergency to be complete within the next ten days.



Channel 2 Action News

Delivered To Your Inbox