ATLANTA - Health officials say a Georgia Tech student was hospitalized after she came down with symptoms consistent with bacterial meningitis.
The female student started feeling ill Sunday. Her symptoms included high fever, sore neck and a bad headache. She was taken to Emory University Hospital Midtown and is expected to make a full recovery.
The news of the suspected meningitis case struck a nerve with many students across the Tech campus.
"It does concern me, I actually have a cousin who had to have his hands amputated this year because of meningitis," said student Caitlin Taylor.
According to school officials, the student's off-campus roommates have been given preventative medication. To date, none have shown any symptoms.
Officials said they believe this is an isolated case and no one else had exhibited symptoms.
Dr. Gregory Moore told Channel 2's Rachel Stockman the student is reacting well to the antibiotics. He also said Georgia Tech Health Services are taking precautions to make sure the bacterium doesn't spread.
"'I don't know who is drinking out of this cup,' is kind of the answer we got, so we treated, very liberal, treated more than probably needed it," Moore said.
According to Georgia Tech's website, about 100 students have visited the infirmary as a precaution.
The campus was informed of the student's illness in an email Wednesday.
"Although contagious, this bacterial meningitis is only transmitted by very close personal contact with exchange of saliva or respiratory secretions," Matt Nagel, school spokesman, said in an emailed statement.
Bacterial meningitis can be spread by sharing a drink, spoon or cigarette, Moore said. Symptoms usually are present within two days, he said.
Georgia Tech investigating possible bacterial meningitis case
Officer dead, another injured in shooting near Georgia Southwestern Univ.
Family says 11-year-old accidentally killed 14-year-old
2 juveniles charged in Tennessee wildfires that killed 14
Chief: Deputy shoots man after struggle at Clayton County Courthouse annex