Updated:LITHONIA, Ga. —
The Red Cross is helping nine people, including several children, forced out of a
fire-damaged home in DeKalb County.
Channel 2's Amanda Cook reported from the scene of the Teal Cove residence, just off Pleasant Hill Road in Lithonia, where occupants tried to salvage their belongings after an electrical fire involving a dryer in the laundry room.
the people inside was Larone Meadows, who said he woke up Sunday morning to get his 5-month-old son some milk.
That's when he smelled smoke coming from the laundry room.
Meadows and his fiancee have three friends in town for the holiday weekend. So there were a total of three adults and six kids in the house, he told Cook. Everyone except for Meadows was asleep, but he was able to rush and get everyone out.
"God woke me up is the only thing I can think. I'm thankful for that no one was hurt," Meadows said.
DeKalb County fire captain Zene Gresham said the family cannot stay at the home for now, so Red Cross is going to provide assistance for them.