MADISON COUNTY, Ga - The father of a 1-year-old girl found crawling on a Madison County road has been arrested.
A man traveling from Elberton found the child at around 10 a.m. Friday. Officials said he spotted the baby crawling along the fog line of the highway. He then stopped, placed the crying child inside his vehicle and called 911.
Officials said the baby was apparently crawling along the highway for more than an hour and fell down a 15-foot floor embankment near the highway. She was found with multiple insect bites and scratches.
As deputies were investigating, officers said 37-year-old Timothy Pickens came walking up to the scene screaming, “That’s my child!”
Deputies said Pickens was arrested after he pushed a deputy trying to reach the man holding the baby.
Officials said the child’s mother arrived and explained that she and her husband left the child in the care of their children, ages 13, nine and five. Authorities said the mother was outside for about an hour and upon returning, she could not find the child and called 911 for assistance, officers said.
A Division of Family and Children Services (DFACS) worker arrived and decided to release the child to the mother so she could take the child for medical treatment.
The father was transported to jail and charged with cruelty to children, reckless conduct and obstruction.
Police said they expect the mother to face charges as well.
- Domino's introduces a 'Siri' to take mobile orders
- Buffalo Bill's necklace, gun fetch $80K at auction
- Spurs title-clinching win a hit with viewers
- Alaska putting free pregnancy tests in bar bathrooms
- San Francisco 'Painted Lady' sells for $900,000 below asking price
- Hoarder dead after 1st floor falls into basement
- Schumacher leaves French hospital, out of coma
- Glitch causes long lines, no purchases at Target
- Starbucks clears college degree path for employees
- Madeleine McCann parents thwarted in libel case