GORDON COUNTY, Ga. - A fire destroyed a Gordon County house leaving a family with six adopted children without a home.
Several children were at home when the fire ignited last Thursday, but were able to get out quickly when the smoke alarm sounded.
"This could have been do so much worse for our family if we had endure a tragedy," said Amy Delaney. "The oxygen bottles when they got hot, the majority of them exploded and that is why the house went so quickly."
Delany said she spent about six months in the hospital dealing with various issues. Two of her children have Treacher Collins syndrome, which requires facial surgery every three months. Another had to undergo a bone marrow transplant. Almost nothing in the home could be saved.
"Toiletries, groceries - we are starting with basics. Once we do that we can feel more stable and secure," Delany said.
Delaney said the Red Cross put them up for several nights. They also stayed with friends and in a hotel and are now in a temporary home.
"They (the children) break down and cry a little bit. We are choosing to keep them away from the house," Delaney said.
On the front of the house, on a wall that is still standing, there is a sign that reads: "Thank you God for the reminder that the love of a community means more than anything we have."
You can donate to the family HERE.