DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. - A multiagency, four-day operation netted 14 arrestees who allegedly traveled with the intent to meet a child for sex.
Included in the 14 arrests was a man who was an elementary school principal.
“Operation Broken Heart” was an effort centered in DeKalb County. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation said the operation took months of planning. The arrestees, ranging in age from 21 to 64, traveled from all parts of northern Georgia with the intent to meet a child for sex.
Thirty-seven law enforcement agencies and prosecutors participated in “Operation Broken Heart” along with the GBI’s Child Exploitation and Computer Crimes Unit and the Georgia Information Sharing and Analysis Center. The operation began Feb. 26.
Those arrested were charged with Computer Pornography and Child Exploitation Prevention Act of 1999. Additional charges may be coming.
John McGill is the principal at Mt. Carmel Elementary School in Douglas County. On his bio online, which appears to have been posted for the 2011-2012 school year, McGill said he is married with six children, and has been a principal for 14 years. According to Karen Stroud with Douglas County Schools, McGill has been suspended.
The following were arrested and charged in DeKalb County as part of “Operation Broken Heart”:
- Kahsi Butler, 31, of Conyers (musician)
- Fred Gregory Chatham, 64, of Griffin (field tech)
- Benjamin Hopson, 21, of Lithonia (grocery store employee)
- John Benjamin Katz, 29, of Fairburn (drafter)
- Cheney Li, 22, of Atlanta (software developer)
- John McGill, 56, of Villa Rica (elementary school principal)
- J. B. Owen, 58, of Canton (VP of ambulance service)
- Marc Matthew Peterson, 38, of Acworth (culinary business manager)
- Tiana Cousteau Reese, 38, of College Park
- Tracy Antonio Solomon, 50, of Stockbridge (airport crew outfitter)
- Choon Hong David Tan, 52, of Johns Creek (engineer)
- Richard Roger Tumlin, 49, of Winder (load operator)
- Kenneth Walker, 48, of Winder (sales)
Here is the official statement from Douglas County Schools:
"Mt. Carmel Elementary School Principal Dr. John McGill has been suspended by the Douglas County School System pending a law enforcement investigation. The system is cooperating fully with law enforcement. Few details, confirmed by law enforcement, are available at this time; more information is expected as the process proceeds."
Elementary school principal busted in child sex sting
Candidate for governor calls for removal of Stone Mountain carving
VA officials reassigned following Channel 2 investigation
Students may have to double or triple up in ‘tiny' dorm rooms due to overbooking
With the solar eclipse just days away, viewing glasses are in short supply