EAST POINT, Ga. - A mother of six says she is being forced out of her rental home due to electrical issues.
Alicia Cooper told Channel 2’s Amy Napier Viteri that electrical problems caused a fire last week. “I feel like it’s a burden, it’s a bit much right now,” Cooper said.
Cooper is moving out of her home on Ben Hill Road in East Point, but said she is not sure where she is going. Cooper said East Point Power came to her home after the fire and decided to cut off power.
“Before he even touched the meter good, it was sparking fire and flame from it,” Cooper said.
Cooper said an electrician estimated the cost of repairs to be around $10,000. “They told (the landlord) he’s going to have to remove all this, go through the wall, go up into the attic and remove all the wiring,” Cooper said.
Cooper said her landlord told her via email that he would refund two weeks of rent for March and the balance of her security deposit after repairs were made to the property.
Cooper said she should get all of March’s rent back and the full deposit. She said she lost hundreds of dollars in groceries when she lost power and she was forced to pay for a hotel room in the meantime.
“I had to make sure I was able to provide, you know, heat, water and shelter for them,” Cooper said.
Cooper said she now also understands her high electrical bills, including one for more than $700.
Cooper’s landlord told Viteri by phone Tuesday night that he is willing to work with Cooper and give her back rent from March, as well as her deposit, to help her get into a new home quickly.
The city of East Point confirmed it cut power for safety reasons and it will stay off until repairs are made and the home is inspected.
Electrical fire forces mom of 6 out of East Point home
Deputy shot at Tanger Outlets; gunman on the loose
Charges filed against former Gwinnett officers in brutality case
'He brought so much joy': Mother mourns son killed in crash with friends
'He's a little soldier': 3-year-old boy shot in bounce house recovering