Parents accused of starving child plead not guilty

Updated:

Loading

GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. - The father and stepmother of 10-year-old Emani Moss, who was starved to death and burned, entered not guilty pleas in court Friday.

Eman and Tiffani Moss could be sentenced to death if convicted, a case thats expected to move forward slowly. 

Robin Moss left the courthouse heartbroken after looking at her son and his wife.

“It was hard sitting there today and seeing him, because what I see is my little boy,” said Robin Moss.

The couple is accused of starving Emani to death last year, then trying to hide the body in a trash can and setting it on fire.  

“I can say all day that I’m OK, but it hurts, it really hurts,” said Robin Moss.

In court Friday, the parents heard the official charges against them. Their lawyers then entered their not guilty pleas.

Prosecutors say Emani's parents should die for their actions.

The potential death penalty means the case will likely move slowly.

A decision could be reached soon though on where the couple’s two living children should live. They are currently in foster homes.

A juvenile judge will hear testimony next week on the future placement of the small children. 

 “I'm still hoping and praying that at least family, my side of the family, gets the kids,” said Robin Moss. 

Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter says he expects a flurry motions to be filed, maybe as many as a 150  in the death penalty case over the next few months.

A trial could be held sometime next year.


Channel 2 Action News

Delivered To Your Inbox