by: Mike Petchenik Updated:
SANDY SPRINGS, Ga. - Channel 2 Action New has learned that chalk dust was to blame for nearly two dozen people getting sick at a Sandy Springs school.
It sickened 20 people, sending three kids to
As Channel 2's Mike Petchenik arrived at the school Monday morning, firefighters were suiting up to go inside, and emergency medical crews were tending to sick students.
"We had several students that presented with irritation in their nose, eyes and throat," Sandy Springs Deputy Fire Chief Mark Duke told Petchenik.
In all, officials said 19 students and one teacher from an eighth-grade class complained after coming in contact with a suspicious powdery substance.
"Once the substance was seen or
noted, that's when the students started complaining of the irritation," Duke said.
Fire officials told Petchenik three children ended up at Children's Heathcare of Atlanta, at Scottish Rite, for observation.
"The school's HVAC system was shut down," Duke said.
Soon after, Petchenik saw an Alpharetta Fire Department hazardous materials truck arrive to assess the situation.
"They determined the substance, the white powder, was calcium carbonate, which is consistent with chalk dust," Duke said.
Duke said the room didn't have a chalkboard, so investigators are trying to find out from where it came.
Fulton County Schools police were doing interviews with school officials to find out what happened and how the chalk dust got into the room.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, calcium carbonate can cause irritation of the eyes and skin, but there are no long-term health effects from it.
Chalk dust to blame for evacuation of Sandy Spring classroom
Official after deadly storms: 'We need everything our country can give us'
Deal adds 9 counties to emergency declaration after deadly storms
Arthur Blank sending nearly 500 Falcons employees to Super Bowl LI
Falcons fans rush out to buy merchandise before the Super Bowl