EAST POINT, Ga. - Authorities are investigating two deaths in East Point on Wednesday afternoon.
Hours later, they were still gathering evidence.
Elaine Hardy said when she heard the news from her daughter, she rushed over the house to check on her grandson, Tre.
"As soon as I seen my 11-year-old grandson, I knew he was gone," Hardy told Channel 2's Eric Philips.
Officers told Channel 2 Action News they believe exhaust fumes from a faulty generator contributed to the tragedy.
Morris Horton said he called 911 after he arrived at the house to check on his friend who he identified as Sederick Baliem, 40.
"I ain't heard from him, been calling him for two days. I told my wife, 'Something must be wrong,'" Horton told Philips.
Horton said he panicked when he couldn't wake up his friend and one of the children. Horton said two others were lethargic.
"You go in the house and find 'em dead, you gonna be shook up," Horton said.
Police arrived first and tried to get inside, but they were overcome with the carbon monoxide and called the fire department to assist, East Point police spokesman Cliff Handler said.
Baliem and his 11-year-old son, Sederick Baliem III, died. Sederick Baliem Jr. and 2-year-old Shenice Baliem were rushed to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston.
Investigators said power to the home had been out of service since Monday.
Several family pets were also removed from the home.
Father, son dead from CO poisoning likely from faulty generator
Widow shares emotional message after guilty verdict in Hemy Neuman murder trial
Dramatic video shows shootout at Atlanta gas station
Freaknik promoter: "We're expecting thousands of people"
Victim of hot water attack breaks down on the stand