ATLANTA - Nearly two weeks after dozens of students were sickened by carbon monoxide poisoning at Finch Elementary School, parents are still demanding answers.
Parents packed a PTA meeting at Finch Wednesday night. Parents said they’re primarily concerned about communication, and school leaders admitted there is room for improvement.
Many parents in attendance were among the dozens whose children got sick last Monday. Some wanted to know why their children did not get medical attention immediately.
Others thought the school should have provided more counselors for students after the incident.
“To my understanding, we did provide counselors on that Friday that the students returned. I’m not sure how each child was able to see the counselors. If there is an additional need, we will definitely reconsider,” Atlanta Public Schools Vice Chair Byron Amos said.
One woman said her son, who suffers from asthma, was never checked for signs of sickness.
The incident was initially blamed on a faulty boiler, but APS discovered that school maintenance workers failed to flip a valve in the boiler room while performing maintenance the Friday before the incident.
Students spent three days attending Kennedy Middle School before returning to Finch, where a temporary boiler has been installed.
School leaders said a permanent replacement will be installed over the holiday break.